Fine Art/Value of unsigned Picasso print

Question
La Pasionaria (print by Picasso)
La Pasionaria (print b  
Thank you for your time!  The house I recently inherited from my mother was flooded a month ago and I am now preparing a claim for the insurance company.  Among the flood damaged items is an unsigned, but numbered estate print, apparently a Picasso, which my mother bought at an event to raise money when there was a devastating flood in Florence.  The image is La Pasionaria, the Spanish Civil War leader. How much shall I claim for this loss?

Answer
Dear Alicia,

I hope you are doing well. Insurance companies handle fine art claims differently than other items in the home. Most of them require a formal appraisal. Some companies will accept the original sales receipt from the gallery where the art was purchased. One thing I am fairly certain of is that they will not accept an online appraisal.

The best thing for you to do is contact your insurance company to get their instructions for valuing art. If they require an appraisal, ask them the requirements of the report and certifications of the appraiser. You can then find a local appraiser in the yellow pages or through a referral from a fine art gallery or museum.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley