Fine Art/Value of unsigned Picasso print

La Pasionaria (print by Picasso)
La Pasionaria (print b  
Thank you for your time!  The house I recently inherited from my mother was flooded a month ago and I am now preparing a claim for the insurance company.  Among the flood damaged items is an unsigned, but numbered estate print, apparently a Picasso, which my mother bought at an event to raise money when there was a devastating flood in Florence.  The image is La Pasionaria, the Spanish Civil War leader. How much shall I claim for this loss?

Dear Alicia,

I hope you are doing well. Insurance companies handle fine art claims differently than other items in the home. Most of them require a formal appraisal. Some companies will accept the original sales receipt from the gallery where the art was purchased. One thing I am fairly certain of is that they will not accept an online appraisal.

The best thing for you to do is contact your insurance company to get their instructions for valuing art. If they require an appraisal, ask them the requirements of the report and certifications of the appraiser. You can then find a local appraiser in the yellow pages or through a referral from a fine art gallery or museum.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.