Fine Art/Nelly Dax Painting

sil54ver wrote at 2008-12-09 07:38:18
i have one of nelly dax paintings, i sold them back in the 70's she only did boys and girls with big eyes as you said she was from france she sold them to a new york firm and they distributed them to furniture stores  when we got our order in from them there might 3or4 only and that would be every 6 to 9 mos all of ours were sold be fore we ever received them  she was very popular astist

Roberto wrote at 2009-05-16 14:57:30
The name, Nelly Dax, was invented.  The paintings done with that signature were mass-produced for sale on street corners, through furniture stores, and the like.  Art students painted the background scenes as exercises, and the crew leaders (there were three) inserted the young girl in the foreground.  Hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of these paintings were done.  They are without value, either artistically or commercially.

Mark Hayes wrote at 2009-06-08 14:43:48
I just saw a painting by the same artist going for $900 at an antique shop in Ottawa, Canada. I asked the shop owner for details on the artist and he admitted to know very little; although, he said the the style is 'poupon art' which was apparently quite popular in Paris between 1950 and 1960.

Gilly wrote at 2010-02-23 03:29:45
What you have is something quite curious , there was a period in France where many paintings were painted of this style by various amateur artists, images such as young  street urchins with teary eyes, clowns  and what not , this period war never regarded in the high status art comunity to be of any worth at the time , for its sole perpose  was to sell to taurists , but now there are collectoes serching for these artists work , and assure you it has value ....... find out more if you can , but a word of advice ... " Dont sell it until you do !!

KR wrote at 2011-01-22 22:11:53
I don't think Roberto is correct. I too own a Nelly Dax painting and have done some research. I believe He or She is related to surrealist painter Adrien Dax.

These paintings are originals and not mass produced.

Jim wrote at 2012-01-07 05:16:38
I have one from my Grandfather, I think he got in WW2. She was painting them on the street I thought?

Penny Ripple wrote at 2016-07-12 01:44:04
I have a Nelly Dax my father purchased in Paris on the street in 1960's.  He has just passed and I am wondering what it is worth.  

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.