Fine Art/1902 Oil on Board

Question
Inherited 10x14 oil on board. Ships at remote shore near burning fort or building. Moon lighting water. Artist's signature not clear ... initial G. Last name starts with G or C, appears to be 6 letter name ending in ER. Less certain about first 4 letters... could be Gapper, or Capper, or Gabber ... / Back of board is label which says 'Academy Board' and 'Annesley & Co. dealers in Artists Oil and Water Colors, canvas, oil sketching paper sketch blocks,...etc. 57 No. Pearl St., Albany, N.Y.
I can email a PDF copy of the painting, if that would help.
Any info would help. Thanks.
Charles Pulliam

Answer
Charles,
Send me a .pdf or .jpg file of the painting, and a closeup shot of the signature if you can.  

The Annesley & Co. label clearly establishes this as an antique, as they shuttered their business in the 1940s after having been around over a century.  

Describe the condition of the paint on the board.  Peeling? Cracking? Is it framed, etc.   

If I cannot help you straight away, I have several contacts in Albany I can send you to, as well as other ideas.  If you share with me what part of the country you are from, I can perhaps direct you to a local gallery or auctioneer who might help.

Sounds like a nice picture.

StuCartwright@yahoo.com
-----------------------------------

UPDATE -
Charles, I have a strong hunch who your artist is, but I'd want to see this painting first.  - Stu  

Stuart Cartwright