Fine Art/Artist's name & value of painting.

The Three Friends
The Three Friends  
Hi Dan; Around 1965 I was rumaging thru an abandoned army base in Haines, Alaska and found this oil painting. I have never been able to id the artist or a value for the painting.The size is 26" X 20" and is dated "1937". I believe the name to be: "H. Tarlox" and the title: "The Three Friends". Hoping you can enlighten me!!?

Hi Ray, my name is Stu.

Looks like an interesting oil painting, but you must shrink the picture down so that I can see the whole painting.  All that comes through on this service is a bit of the top where a fist is wrapped around a torch?

I can find no listed American artist named Tarlox or Tarbox.   Can you send me a closeup of the signature as well?

I saw your post at Askart.  Haines, Alaska, huh?  Possible that this painting celebrates the friendship of three draftees spending a long winter in Haines?  (I can see the top of a bottle in the cut-off picture.)   

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration