Fine Art/Fine Art Identification

Hi: I have a painting by Jose Puyet titled "En el Casino" on the back with the number 210 and the Name Grumbacher New York engraved on the frame. How can i differentiate between a print and an original - because it sure feels like the real thing.

Dear Anthony,

I believe you have a reproduction of a Jose Puyet painting that was printed first on paper and then glued to stretched canvas. The publisher then applied heavy varnish, usually with brushes that would give the print texture like an original oil painting. They are often very difficult to tell from original oil paintings.

The reason I say yours is probably a copy is because if you Google Jose Puyet and En el Casino; you will find many other people who have the same "painting". It is highly unlikely the artist would paint and name so many paintings the same. If you have a high magnification loupe or glass, you can look at the painting and if you see lines or dots, you have a copy.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.