Fine Art/Jane Avril print

Question
I have had a print in my posession for some time now which came from the attic of a very old war vet (Jane Avril). It measures about 20" x 28". How can I tell if it is of value?
         Bobby

Answer
Dear Bobby,

There are two Toulouse-Lautrec posters that are often referred to as Jane Avril. One has Avril doing the can-can on the stage with the orchestra in the foreground and the other has Avril standing in a bent pose wearing a black and orange dress with a snake motif wrapping around her. Her name is printed mid page.

The size of the original 1893 release of the can-can poster is approximately 51 1/6x37 1/6 inches, (130x94.5 cm) and has auctioned for over $35,000. It will be in two pieces.

The size of the original 1899 standing Avril is approximately 22x15 inches (55.8x38 cm), and has sold at auction for over $60,000.

There have been numerous reprints of the images; with some being made as smaller images released in limited edition. It is very difficult for anyone other than an expert who can personally examine the print to tell exactly what you have. However, if your poster is not in the range of the sizes above, the value is going to be considerably less. There are later releases that sell in the hundreds and low thousands. My suggestion is to look online for a gallery or dealer near you who carries original Toulouse-Lautrec lithographs. They are more likely to be able to qualify your print. You may also try a museum in your area and ask for the prints specialist.

If you have a loupe, you can immediately identify if there are printing marks such as lines or circles. Start by looking at the margins and other edges. This would indicate an offset printing method that has little value compared to the original lithographs from plates.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley