Fine Art/Painting

Question
Painting
Painting  
Please help me identify this painting.  Appears very old as some of the paint looks to be cracking.  Signed by Pieler but doesn't look like his work.  Has a stamp of Authenticity on the back.

Thanks for your help!!

Answer
Mark,
I agree with you.  Franz Xaver Pieler (1879 - 1952) was an Austrian artist. As you are aware, he chiefly painted still life pictures  - ornate, boldly colored depictions of flowers in vases.  I am not expert in European art, so cannot tell you too much more about Pieler.

Alas, I cannot help you further than that opinion. Another way to check the age of a painting is simply to look at the condition of the canvas.  How does the verso look?  If dark, relined, that would give you an idea that it might be older than a few decades.  Does the stamp give you a clue?  Groupil?  Good luck.

Stuart Cartwright