Fine Art/Painting - Manolita - Artist Puyet

Question
Over twenty-one years ago, I gave my mother a painting of a young girl with a red dress named "Manolita" by Puyet, and I was wondering how I could find out if the portrait is original. In times past, I have search for information pertaining to this particular artist "Puyet".  Do you have any advise to take me in the right direction?  Thank you

Answer
Dear Jannette,

I did a quick Google search for a Puyet painting named Manolita and came up with at least a dozen references from people asking information on a painting by the same name. Since it is unlikely Puyet painted a dozen or more of the same image and titled them the same; your painting may well be a print after the original painting that has been applied to heavy cardboard or canvas. Puyet prints were very popular during mid century. Because of the depth and often applied varnish with brushstrokes, they can be confused with actual oil paintings.

If you have a high magnification glass you can look at the surface for any signs of it being a print, such as a pattern of dots or lines. If you do not have a glass, you can probably take it to a local antiques dealer and have them look at it for you.

Jose Puyet,(1926-2004), was born in Malaga, Spain and is considered a modern impressionist. You can read more about his life online by Googling "artist Jose Puyet biography".

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley