Fine Art/Painting by shell engraded by A.B. Walter

This lithograph has been in my family for four generations. It has the entire family with a picture of the boy that died on the wall behind the other two boys and their parents.  The older boy is in a Union Military uniform.  It is in the orginal frame and I am wondering how it should be kept to prevent it from aging?  Do you recommend a preservationist?  Can you tell me anything about this art? Thi is an oval picture 8" x 6.5".  The family is looking at a book.  Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln are seated the two boys are standing.

Lithography is not my expertise, so I encourage you to seek answers elsewhere on the AllExperts service.  Type "Lithography" into the Search For at the top of the screen.  

That said, it sounds like a wonderful and poignant picture you own.  Is this an image of your ancestors?  Is so you have a treasure.  

You didn't send me an image of the portrait so I can only guess.  You mention Mr and Mrs Lincoln?  Is this a portrait of President Abraham Lincoln?  If so, the picture might have historical value.  If not, I would tell you that the best lithographs might fetch between $150 - $200 in my limited experience.  

As for preservation, I would encourage you to have a quality frame shop assist you.  Acid-free papers and UV-protective glass should be used.  It may cost marginally more, but is worth it.  There seem to be experts in art preservation on this AllExperts service you can use as well.

Good luck.  I hope you enjoy your art!  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration