Fine Art/Paintings

Question
I have two paintings left to me by my grandmother, one is of the Tower Bridge in London England signed Jani Cortmals and the other is Trafalfar Square London by Jan Coydon as close as I can read, they are in perfect condition enclosed in a glass frame they would be around 90 years of age, can you tell me where I could take these to be evaluated

Answer
Marilyn,
Although my profile states I follow the American Fine Art market, I will try to answer your question about these English scenes.  

Please send me, if you can, pictures of (1) each entire painting and (2) closeups of the signatures.   Jan Korthals (1916-1972) was a Dutch artist who painted many city scenes of Amsterdam and Paris.  It is not inconceivable that he many have been your Tower Bridge artist.  I'll know when I see your snapshot.  I can do a little more on Coydon at that time.  I know it is hard to get a snapshot of a work under glass. Turn off the flash on your camera.  Then send it to:  

stu@cartwrightfineart.com

Given the popularity of these two tourist attractions, it is most probable that these paintings were executed by a sidewalk artist or sold from a tourist shop, so set your expectations accordingly.  

Of course, in the end, if you enjoy the paintings, if they bring you a connection to your grandmother, who cares if they have a price value on them?  Conserve them, hang them, and enjoy them!

--------------------------------------
FOLLOWUP

Thank you for sending along the photographs.  These are not Dutch Artist Jan Korthals.  They look like pen and wash drawings.  I still cannot make out the signatures, despite your valiant attempt.  (It's not easy, I attest to that)  

And from the subject matter, we can rule out the 90 year old date you presupposed.  These are probably from post-WWII London...regard the automobiles.  I cannot help you further, but I would point you to www.ha.com  where experts at Heritage Auctions may be able give you additional information or value.  As I allude to in my profile, I study American Fine Art, from Hudson River School art of the nineteenth century to the Modern period of the nineteen thirties and forties.  I wish you luck, and really I agree...lovely sketches of wonderful places.  

Stu  

Stuart Cartwright