Fine Art/Picasso's The Tragedy

Question
Hello, I've just come across a Picasso painting.  I'm not sure if it's legit but the funny thing is that it has a label stuck to the back, it says "No. 1860, Pablo Picasso, 1881-1973, The Tragedy, Size 105.4 X 69 cm (41 1/2 X 27 1/8 in) Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington.

The paiting itself has the Picasso signature on the bottom right and the year 1903 on the top right.  I'm afraid to take it out of the fram for it also looks like it's been there many years.  The frame actually has paint all around it from putting the painting in it I guess.  Looking at it it is an oil painting but I'm afraid to take it out.  I've researched this to find out if this may be part of a series of paintings or what but I can't find anything.

Please let me know what other information you would need to give me an assessment as to whether or not this may be a legitimate copy or at least a valuable one.  Thank you in advance for your time and your expertise.

Pablo

Answer
The Tragedy
The Tragedy  
Dear Pablo,

There is a Picasso painting titled "The Tragedy" in the permanent collection of the National Gallery of Art in Washington. It has a man, woman, and child in sorrow on beach. It is on a dark blue canvas and is the same size as yours. I will try to attach an image. With the number and attribution on the back of your painting, it sounds like you have an authorized print reproduction of the painting. There are some very convincing reproductions on canvas with texture that gives it a feel of originality. The best thing to do is to take it to a local dealer (antique or art), or a museum to get an opinion on its medium. They can tell you if it is a print or an original painting.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley