Fine Art/Picture of the Red Cavalier

Hi Stuart,
My husband and I have the a picture of the a Red Cavalier signed by Alex De Andreis 1922 in the lower right corner. It has a brass name plate at the bottom. My husband picked up the painting for very little at an estate sale. I found this web site doing a search and was surprised to see the same painting, which was put on this site on 7/31/08. We are curious now if it has any value.
Thanks for your time, Nancy

I have just started with All Experts and yours is my first inquiry!

I am not expert at all in European works, and De Andreis appeears to have been a Belgian artist who enjoyed painting Cavaliers.  Chiefly, in red. These seem to sell at auction between $500 - $1,500 depending upon condition I imagine.  

I did not receive a picture of your artwork, nor a link to it, but I just now found a photograph on this AllExperts website.  This cavalier has a bushy mustache, is draped in crimson, and looks down over his right shoulder at the viewer.  Sound about right?  The questions on the site indicate that perhaps it is not an oil painting at all, but a print.  

If you do think it is an original oil, seek a nearby auction house.  Most auctioneers are happy to give you a quick range.  Meanwhile, enjoy your find!

Stu Cartwright

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration