Fine Art/Possible "Cabrera"

Does the signature in this watercolor (located in the bottom right corner) read "Cabrera"?? I purchased it at a thrift shop. Removed the frame in order to clean the glass & noticed the signature which I can't quite make out. The bottom left corner looks like it says, "vallarta." Would appreciate your expertise input.  Thank you, Carrie

Your eyes directly on the painting are likely better than mine looking at this good snapshot.  The picture was painted in 1971 evidently, and it looks like it could be "Cabrera", though the "C" looks like a "D" to me!  

Servando Cabrera Moreno (1932 - 1981) is a listed Cuban artist, and Sotheby's offered an oil by Rosaria Cabrera at their May '08 auction this year.  I do not know either artist at all, but this may be of use to you in your research.  Alas, Cabrera is a common hispanic name, and on a beautiful day in 1971, Cabrera was inspired by a bright sunlight on a brilliant Spanish tiled roof.

Regardless, you have a beautiful watercolor, I am glad you cleaned the glass and frame.  No doubt there was accumulated dust in the last 37 years.  Make sure to use UV protective glass, and please don't hang the picture in a spot where direct sunlight will sweep across it during the course of the day.  

Enjoy your original artwork!  It's beautiful!

I specialize in 19th and early 20th century American artists.  

Best regards,
Stu Cartwright  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration