Fine Art/Print/lithograph

Question
Boston artist and teacher, Thomas (Tommaso) Juglaris 1844-1925. Very probably the most elusive artist that we have attempted to identify. Had a Leaded glass lead that went nowhere, then he had two auction works sales thr Southerby's, 1994 & 2007. Trying for any information with respect to his small print/litho "On board the Steamer" which shows his signature as mirror image bottom left.
   Very best regards....

Answer
Dear Johnathon,

Tommaso Juglaris was born in Moncalieri, Italy in 1845. He studied in Paris with Couture, and in Turin with Professor Morgari. In 1878 he exhibited at the Salon with the painting “Offereing to the Household Gods”; in 1879, “Paul Veronese at Venice; and in 1880, “The invasion: A Prehistoric Scene.” Juglaris moved to the United States and settled in Boston where he resided until his death in 1925.

The artist appears to have kept most of his work to the medium of painting. His paintings have been created as prints using the photogravure process; as was the print you have, “On board the Steamer”. It was printed in 1889 as part of a book titled “The Treasures of Art”, by Carson & Simpson, Philadelphia. This is where I found his biography. The price on the copy I found is under $35.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley