Fine Art/Ravul Dufy

Tour Eiffel 1935
Tour Eiffel 1935  
Hello i am moving and clearing out my house and came across this old picture in a frame.  I have done a little research and it is Tour Eiffel 1935 by Ravul Dufy.  It does not look like a print and when I wet my finger colour come off and it is on what looks like a piece of paper from a drawing pad.  How can i tell if it is real ?

European artists are outside my purview, but I would add several quick comments.  Raoul Dufy is your artist, and Jean Ershler Schatz, artist and researcher from Laguna Woods, California has written a brief biography of Dufy that you may find online.  Dufy, born in 1877 would have been 58 years old in 1935, and was prepping work for the 1937 International Exposition in Paris.  At this expo, he delivered an enormous mural for the Pavilion of Electricity.

Your photo only shows a blank piece (or the reverse) of sketch pad paper? So I cannot see La Tour Eiffel.  The pencil sketches I have seen by Raoul Dufy are typically executed with a very light pencil, very simple modern lines.  I would contact an internationally known auction house such as Bonhams, Sothebys or Christies if you intend to sell this work.  

Bonne Chance!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration