Fine Art/Renoir "By the Seashore" from the H. O, Havermeyer Collection

I just bought a Renoir I think is orininal.  It has two sticker on old sticer from the Met that Says, "The Met; the H.O. Havermeyer Coll.  Renoir By the Seashore."  It looks original, and age appropriate.  Any reason why the orininal would't still be at Met?  

Hi Jody, this is an interesting piece you have. According to their website, it still is at the Met.

( )

I would take exact measurements of the piece (either from edge of margin to edge of margin, or from edge of image to edge of image). The Met claims it is "36 1/4 x 28 1/2 in. (92.1 x 72.4 cm)". If it matches these measurements, then it may be original.

Museums, galleries, and collectors alike sell pieces, and some mark the piece with a stamp, so it's possible the Met sold this piece legit.

To get a more accurate opinion on the piece, I recommend you send an email to Alex Adelman, president of Masterworks Fine Art, Inc. at . In this email, tell him any information you have on the piece, and attach high quality photos of the piece, the signature, and piece number, if possible.

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University