Fine Art/Wolff & Co. Ltd.

Question
I am trying to find information on the publishing company
Louis Wolff & Co. Ltd.
I have 4 prints by A Schroder, the repast, a dutch home,
checkmate, and the reader.  These are approximately 18 x 24 inch and are mounted in gold covered plaster franes,  
Do these have any value?

Answer
Dear Richard,

I believe your artist is German Albert Friedrich Schroder, (1854-1939). His medium was oil and I could not find where he created any original prints such as lithographs or engravings. He painted primarily interior scenes of life at home during the 19th century.

Louis Wolff & Co., LTD, was a publishing house in London that is known to create high quality printings for and after the artists at the time; late 19th –early 20th century. They published many types of prints using various printing methods such as photogravures, etchings, carbotypes and photographs.

Without looking at your prints, I can only give my summation of what they are. Since A. Schroder has no record of original engravings or lithographs, I would guess your prints are late 19th century high quality photogravures after the original oil paintings of the artist.

The frames sound vintage so you may want to make sure the prints are not in contact with acidic paper backing and matting.

There are examples of the artist’s prints online that generally sell for under $100.00 unframed. However, yours appear larger than most and the vintage frames add additional value as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley