Fine Art/help identification of oil painting

This painting was purchased by my late parents 30+ years ago - perhaps during a trip to Geneva. Any help would be appreciated.

It appears that I am able to attach only one image. I have a closeup of the signature which might help.

4'x 2'

Looks to be of about that era...1970's, 80's?   I am not at all expert in contemporary paintings, nor European artists.  I do know that quite a lot of art is purchased on vacations in wonderful spots, and though the art often isn't too valuable in the market, it is long a great source for pleasant memories.  

If this painting is not of interest to you, I'd encourage you to seek a local auction house.  Otherwise, hang it and enjoy it!   

Followup -
I do not know the other experts on the site.  I have just started as a volunteer on this site myself.  However, from perusing their bios, it appears several, including Dan T., are more familiar with European artworks than myself.  I do not purport to be knowledgeable in post-war or contemporary (ie, living) European artists.  My area of knowledge is listed as AMERICAN Art, 19th and early 20th century.

As a further recommendation, I would encourage you to let the expert know whose signature is on the painting, it appears to be clearly marked, but is so small in the picture I cannot make it out.  If the painter is a "listed" artist it will help greatly in providing you information and, of course, be of more value to you.  

At first glance I thought this might be a picture of Stockholm, but it certainly could be any of a number of European capitals.  

Good luck.  

Stu Cartwright  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration