Fine Art/identifying artist

Question
I have a drawing that I was told years ago was original, maybe charcoal.. looks like pencil to me... it has been in my family for over 100 years and was "lost" twice, but recovered in very strange circumstance..  it was in original frame, with a wood backing, and a newspaper from Worshester, Mass.. around 1890s between the board and drawing.  I gave the newspaper to a friend who collected same.  It is a beautiful drawing of 3 horses, the heads only, side by side, against a stormy beach sky...The signature is E.A.K.  initials, with what looks like 1894, but I can't tell for sure.. I've never had it looked at by a professional.  Once I saw a HGTV show and saw an identical print hanging over a fireplace at a home that was being rebuilt in Massachusetts.. but I wasn't able to make contact or get a response..
can you help me determine if what I have is something I should take to an appraiser?

Answer
Dear Leah, thank you for sharing this intriguing story about you and your family heirloom. I do not recognize the piece by your description, nor the signature, but I can point you in the right direction to have it looked at. I recommend that you contact Alex Adelman of Masterworks Fine Art, Inc. http://www.masterworksfineart.com Email him images of the piece, of the back and front and of the signature. Tell him this story about it as well. If he is familiar with this piece, he will gladly share with you all pertinent information.

Regardless of the market value of the piece, it has an interesting story that you can share. And that is valuable in itself. Good luck!

Andrew

Andrew Evans