Fine Art/old oil painting by jean raoux

Question
I was wondering about this painting.  It belonged to my grandparents and my grandad died in 1990. It's about 5 & 1/2 ft by 4 &1/2 ft., has a plate 'Venus and Paris', Jean Raoux 1677-1734, Hearns Collection.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you.  

Answer
Dear Cindi,

Finding Jean Raoux’s biography was very easy so I assume you already know about the artist. I am not going to ask to see photos of your painting because I would not be able to tell if it is original oil without seeing the painting in person.

Anytime I hear a painting has a plate with the title of the painting and artist I am alerted that it is likely a copy; a print applied to canvas with lacquer to give it dimension. The other alert is that it mentions “Hearns Collection”, which may mean that is where the original painting is located.

However, the size of your painting is much larger than most I have seen reproduced. They are usually much smaller. Additionally, I have not been able to locate a reproduction or a location of a Jean Raoux with the title of your painting. I would take the painting to a local museum or fine art gallery for someone to determine if it is a print or an oil painting. It can be very difficult to tell the copies from the originals for the novice.

Original Jean Raoux paintings have a wide range of value at auction. They sell for anywhere from $15,000-60,000. I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley