Fine Art/water mill painting

after the johnstown flood of 1977 i volenteered to help clean up and move some things from a greek cathlick church. because i had a truck to do so . after we were done the priest told me he felt bad that he could not pay me not even for gas . but instead gave me a painting off the wall and told me to hang on to it. he beleaved it might be of some value. i thanked him and kept it for 31 years. it is a water mill painting with the moon overhead
on glass,winter seen, signature  A.B. it is oval approx. 15 in. high 24 in. long ,fingerjointed frame in wood with plaster overlay on front ,frame is also hand painted
what do i have

Hello David,
That's a great story.  Good for you for volunteering.  

Is there anyway you can send me a digital picture of your painting?  If so, I would like to see (1) the entire picture and (2) a close-up of the signature.  I can immediately think of several "AB" artists, but it would help to see this.  

You mention glass.  Is the painting done on the glass, or is the painting on paper or canvas under the glass?   Do you like the painting?  

Send your pictures via this service or directly to:  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration