Fine Art/Amundsen Oil Painting

Sorry, don\'t know
Sorry, don't know  
My mother in law just passed away and we found a large (approx. 24 X 48")framed Oil Painting signed by Amundsen in her basement.  I will a attach picture.  Can you tell me if it is worth anything?

My condolences regarding your mother-in-law.

She left you a terrific picture.  I'd like to know more about this painting before I give you definitive information, but I do think you have something of value!  

First, can you take photos of (1) the front, as you have posted on this web service (2) the reverse (I'd like to see the condition of the canvas and (3) a closeup of the signature.  Is there any date on the painting?  Send these to my email address below.  I'll send you much more information, including the name of the artist.

Tell me what area of the country or state you are in. If you are local to New England, I might like to see the picture myself.

Best regards,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration