Fine Art/Bassin D'Argenteuil

Question
We have a painting that is signed Claude Monet on left (not in pencil) and is in a frame (without glass) that has a metal tag with the title of the painting and the artist name on it. The painting is not smooth to the touch, but we have not removed it from the frame to find out if it is on canvas or not. Could this be a painted reproduction? Thank you for your time.

Answer
Many of the masters works have been copied either by photograph or artisans hand reproduce them using a clear template and doing a trace method. Once a print is created, a varnish is brushed on to give the look of brush strokes. Some have a spray varnish added so there is no need for glass. I suspect you have a reproduction from a museum store etc. If you feel you have an original MONET, then "lets do lunch".

Dan

Dan Twyman