Fine Art/Bruce Crane

I bought this oil/c 15 years ago. It is signed Bruce Crane. I know Crane had copiers even early on in his career when he was quite popular. THe painting certainly is not tonalist and at best would be early. My fine art friends and art dealers say that this is not by Crane. The painting was blacklighted and examined by Skinner in Boston and the signature was found to be original to the painting. Size of painting - sight is 12" x 24". Any ideas ? Thanks.

First, that's a very handsome picture!  Looks to be in great shape. I like it.

I am not going to dispute those who have seen the painting first-hand. I might take this down the street to Vose to see what they think. Jeff Cooley in Old Lyme, CT isn't too far from you either. I'm curious as to where you purchased the painting.  Did anyone claim this to be a bonafide Crane?  Or was it "attributed" to Crane?  

I can see the doubt.  It is not typical Crane.  No doubt you are familiar with Crane's signature, but I will shoot you some examples (attached file).  

Best of luck,
Stu    email me here...I might have some other contacts for you...  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration