Fine Art/"Cats and Kittens" artist unknown circa 1872-1883

Question
Cats and Kittens
Cats and Kittens  
While in a Goodwill store on Cape Cod a couple of years ago, I stumbled upon what I discovered to be an exact duplicate of this painting at the National Museum of Art in Washtington, D.C. and was dumbfounded.  

My painting is an oil painting and it does appear to be of the age stated.  On the back is a white label with a number (1124), the name of the painting,  the approximate age (listed as circa 1872-1883); next line down Artist Unknown.  I have included a high resolution pictures of the painting.  I purchased it simply because I loved it.  Any help you could give me as to what it truly is would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
You have already found the answer.  This is one of many, many copies of an original American primitive painting that is the collection of the National Gallery of Art (NGA).   All information here is from www.nga.gov

The original painting is recorded as being from Connecticut.  Purchased in 1948 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1958.  The painting has been loaned out to many exhibitions as an example of early American art, and has been reproduced widely.

American 19th Century (artist)
Cat and Kittens, c. 1872/1883
oil on millboard
Overall: 30 x 34.9 cm (11 13/16 x 13 3/4 in.) framed: 38.4 x 43.2 x 2.5 cm (15 1/8 x 17 x 1 in.)
Gift of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch
1958.9.8

Naturally, a warm fuzzy picture of a cat and her kittens has wide appeal and hangs in many American homes.  Reproduction prints, giclee and oil copies abound.  

https://www.fineartonsale.com/cat-and-kittens.html

While you probably don't have a picture worth insuring, you obviously enjoy the painting.  It looks like you have a handsome frame, so it is a nice package.  Hang it on your wall...and most of all...enjoy it!  I enjoy looking at fine art each and every day...even though my pictures have been with me for years, each look is fresh and enjoyable!

Stu

Stuart Cartwright