Fine Art/Identify Old Watercolor?

picture 001
picture 001  
Dear Friend,
I have a large watercolor under glass of a mostly seascape scene. It's roughly 2' X 3' including the wood frame and has a wide (approx. 3") gold matting.  Above the date of 1897 is a funky signature: M.... (or) N..... , and last name "DORA (orE). I know it's not giving you much, but can you try to identify? I have sent you pics (not too clear), but it's the best I can do!
Thanks much,   E. Caso

I'm afraid the best I can do is tell you that there are a few painters named Dore or Dora, but they are not well known, nor can I positively say that any of them is your artist.  

I can say that you seem to have a handsome marine watercolor that does look to be from 1897.  Very much looks like "Rockport school" probably painted on Cape Ann in Massachusetts.  Watercolors seldom bring much at auction, maybe a tenth of what a good oil on canvas will sell for.  This has good size, is large, looks to be in good condition.  I would estimate it's worth at $300-$500.

Enjoy it!  (If it is not already under UV-protective glass, you should consider having that done...sunlight will destroy these beautiful colors quite quickly.)

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration