Fine Art/Identifying a painting

I live in Randsburg California, an old ghost town in the Mojaive Desert.  I have an old painting of a floral arrangement with the signature G. BUTLER. The "Signature" is printed not script and the last name is in capitol letters.  I believe it is possible that this G. Butler may have lived here in this area at some point.

There was an artist who may well have passed through your area or spent time there.  George Butler was known for portraits, animal, genre, and still life scenes. Here is a brief bio:

George Bernard Jr Butler   (1838 - 1907)

Painter. Born in NYC on Feb. 8, 1838. Butler studied with Thomas Hicks in NYC and had further study in Paris under Couture. After losing his right arm while serving in the Seventh Regiment during the Civil War, Butler divided the years 1865-74 between his studios in NYC and San Francisco. In 1875 he went to Italy where he remained for several years. A painter of portraits, genre, and still lifes, he is best known for his animal subjects. Butler died at his home in Croton Falls, NY on May 4, 1907. Member: NA, 1873. Exh: Mechanics Inst. (SF), 1868; SFAA, 1872-81; NAD; Paris Expo, 1889. In: MM. ] G&W; Overland Monthly, July 1868; AAA 1907; NY Times, 5-6-1907 (obit).   You would do well to consult these folks, who may have a photograph of his signature on record.  The Crocker specializes in early California art.  

Unfortunately, Butler does not bring much at auction. The few instances of record list paintings sold for several hundred dollars.

Enjoy your original artwork.  I hope you have fun continuing to pursue this line of research, and that I have given you something you don't know already.  

Stu Cartwright

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration