Fine Art/James Sessions

Question
I have had a painting titled "after the catch," for over 40 years. On the back it has a tag with the title and a No. 27141. Does this mean that it is a print and if it is what would it be worth? I would quess that its size is around 24"X32"  It is in pretty good condition

Answer
Dear Sheri,

The tag is probably an inventory tag. Before you can determine value, you need to verify the medium. Sessions was primarily a watercolorist and the offset lithographs made after the originals are very difficult to tell from the originals without the use of a high magnification glass such as a jewelers loupe. The print will have a dot pattern. If you do not have a loupe, you will need to take it to a local expert to have them look at it for you. There is a substantial difference in pricing between an original watercolor and the print made after it.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley