Fine Art/James Sessions

I have had a painting titled "after the catch," for over 40 years. On the back it has a tag with the title and a No. 27141. Does this mean that it is a print and if it is what would it be worth? I would quess that its size is around 24"X32"  It is in pretty good condition

Dear Sheri,

The tag is probably an inventory tag. Before you can determine value, you need to verify the medium. Sessions was primarily a watercolorist and the offset lithographs made after the originals are very difficult to tell from the originals without the use of a high magnification glass such as a jewelers loupe. The print will have a dot pattern. If you do not have a loupe, you will need to take it to a local expert to have them look at it for you. There is a substantial difference in pricing between an original watercolor and the print made after it.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.