Fine Art/Millie Funk Original

I have two original paintings by Millie Funk that are done on deer hide and signed and dated 1970. I live in South Dakota. Can you advise the value of these works?

Hi Jonni,
Although Western US art is not a specialty I did find in my database records of a Millie Funk that was offered at auction in 2004.  

This was a colorful 8 x 10 oil on board of two horses tethered to a post in front of a stain glassed window, evidently outside a church.
The painting was sold by in Colorado Springs, CO.  It came with an ornate frame and the estimate was $500-$750.  It did not sell.  

Millie was a well-known national artist and was many-times published, claiming quite a few Western magazine covers. Her work also appears still on Leanin’ Tree note cards and limited edition prints.

Tribal Treasures Gallery in Victorville, CA advertises a large 18 x 24 oil picture of horses in a barn for $2,500.  This might be a good spot to give you a precise estimate for your painting:  

I hope this is of some help to you.  Meantime, enjoy your original art every day.  I do!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration