Fine Art/Millie Funk Original

Question
I have two original paintings by Millie Funk that are done on deer hide and signed and dated 1970. I live in South Dakota. Can you advise the value of these works?

Answer
Hi Jonni,
Although Western US art is not a specialty I did find in my database records of a Millie Funk that was offered at auction in 2004.  

This was a colorful 8 x 10 oil on board of two horses tethered to a post in front of a stain glassed window, evidently outside a church.
The painting was sold by www.bestofthewestauctions.com in Colorado Springs, CO.  It came with an ornate frame and the estimate was $500-$750.  It did not sell.  

Millie was a well-known national artist and was many-times published, claiming quite a few Western magazine covers. Her work also appears still on Leanin’ Tree note cards and limited edition prints.

Tribal Treasures Gallery in Victorville, CA advertises a large 18 x 24 oil picture of horses in a barn for $2,500.  This might be a good spot to give you a precise estimate for your painting:

http://ttgallery.net/gallery/oils/oldmaudesnewbaby.htm  

I hope this is of some help to you.  Meantime, enjoy your original art every day.  I do!

Stu

Stuart Cartwright