Fine Art/Oil on Canvas

No title on picture
No title on picture  
Hi there. I just acquired a small oil on canvas. 5x7 inches. The picture is realistic-seagulls in flight on a ocean shoreline. I sent picture. The artist only initialed the painting. The initials are B.N.J. The year 1932 is right next to the initials.

Congratulations on your recent purchase.  I find only one listed American artist with BNJ initials, and he would fit the date as well.
You may wish to do more research starting there.  I can find no examples of his work, so he is pretty obscure, but evidently was a West Coast artist.  

It is MORE likely however, that your painting was done by an unlisted, unknown hobby artist.  

Enjoy it.  Original art is meant to be hanged.  

Bert N. Jahr
Born on Nov. 11, 1910. Jahr was active in Los Angeles in the 1930s. He died in Mount Vernon, NY on June 25, 1995. Exh: Modern Gallery (LA), 1935; Painters & Sculptors of LA, 1935; Rose Gallery (LA), 1935; Modern Art Gallery (Hollywood), 1935.
Edan Hughes, "Artists in California, 1786-1940"

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration