Fine Art/Oil Painting

Question
I have an oil on canvas, it measures 3' x 2'3", it is signed Kozlow and the subject is the city of Peterboro, New Hampshire.  I would like a little information on the artist and a value on the painting if possible.  Thank You

Answer
Ray,
Two "Kozlow" artists are in contention for this painting!  Without seeing the painting, I can only guess at which one it is.  Sigmund would be my first guess, as his signature is the more distict...a blocky KOZLOW.  His pictures are very brilliant oil on canvas landscapes, and he likely traveled throughout New England.  Richard Kozlow painted more ethereal, modern landscapes often with very low horizons.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I first suspect Sigmund Kozlow and here is his bio:

BORN: December 7, 1913, New York, New York; DIED: February 10, 1990, Philipsburg, New Jersey

Sigmund Kozlow studied painting at the National Academy of Design in New York and was awarded a Pulitzer Traveling Scholarship in 1936, which enabled him to study at the Fountainbleau School of Art and École des Beaux Art in France.

Koslow was an award-winning artist whose scenes of Bucks County and of Rockport, Massachusetts, where he maintained a summer studio for 20 years, were among his favorite subjects.  Well-known for his landscapes and seascapes, Kozlow was also a talented portraitist.  Honored by many awards and exhibiting throughout the United States and abroad, his work can be found in the permanent collections of several institutions, including the Chicago Art Institute.  Kozlow exhibited locally at the Phillips Mill annual exhibitions in New Hope, as well as at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia.
-----------------------------------------------------

Richard Kozlow:

Born Detroit, Mi May 5, 1926

Education : Cass Technology in Detroit; Detroit Society of Arts and Crafts.

Holdings : Smithsonian National Museum of American Art; Spanish National Libre Collection in Madrid; Archieves Museum in Lansing.

Commissions : Sky Series for Ford Motors; NAAO building in Dearborn; The Opera's Not Over for Yaffe Associates in Southfield, MI; Great Ideas of Western Man Series for Container Corporation of America; Wine Paintings for Muer Corporation Restaurants

Exhibits : Victims Series for Birmingham Temple; Farmington Hillls, MI and Meadowbrook Musuem of Art; Retrospectives at Detroit Institute of Art; Art Gallery in Windsor, Ont; Lithographs from Mourlot Graphics at Hudson River Museum; Black White and Bronze at Janice Cherach Gallery of Detroit Jewish Community Center; Holocaust University in Michigan.

Teaching : Instructor and Department Head at Detroit Society Arts and Crafts; Instructor special workshops for Birmingham-Bloomfield Art Association; Artist-in-Residence at Institute Allende San Miguel Alledne, Gto, Mexico. Awards : Founders Award Michigan Artist Exhibit; Detoirt Institute of Arts; Michigan Foundation Arts Award.
-----------------------------------

Either artist sells at auction for between $300 - $600, so while they have done very nice work, they don't command large prices.

I hope this is of some use to you.  Meantime, enjoy your art!

Stu  

Stuart Cartwright