Fine Art/Oil Painting

Hi.. I just recently got this oil painting from a thrift store near where I live in Ohio and was wondering if you could possibly identify who the artist was and possibly any info you might have on him or her. Painting is of a winter scene with tree's, water, in the forefront and a few houses and what looks like a church in the background. I wanted to send you that picture too, but this site seems to only let you send one pic at a time so I just sent you the one of the signature and date on the painting. Size is 12x9...medium is oil on wood board. The condition seems to be's kinda dirty though. I found this out cause when I took it out of it's frame(which was just taped in)it had edges which were so much brighter than the rest of the painting. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much:0)

I'm sorry I do not recognize, nor can I find your artist.  I would advise you to consider finding an art conservator to lightly clean your oil painting.  Discuss what work you wish done with your conservator, and fully understand what the cost may be.  For something this size $500 or so might be money well spent if you like the painting.  If you plan to sell to a dealer, let the dealer do the work...they almost always like to receive the painting in untouched condition.  A conservator would be able to do a tiny test with a Qtip to show you how much grime would be removed.  Considering the picture relies on the bright snow colors, it would be nice to have the values restored to what the artist intended.

And, of course, if you intend to keep the painting, clean it, hang it and enjoy it every day!

Best of luck,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration