Fine Art/Oil Paintings on cardboard I believe

Question
QUESTION: I have a painting on what I believe is cardboard of a ship by a painter named Anderson that has been in the family for as long as I can remember but I can not find anything on it

ANSWER: Teresa,
Please send me a photograph of (1) the entire painting and (2) a closeup of the signature.  Doesn't have to be perfect, do it on a cell phone, just to give me some idea.   I'll be happy to look it over, and let you know what I think.   I presume you are looking for some information about the painter, and perhaps some inkling as to value?

Stu

signiture
signiture  
QUESTION: here is a picture of the signature

Answer
Oh, there is the signature.  Never mind my last message.  I just now found your "Anderson" signature.  

I strongly suspect this may be the Dutch painter, Robert Anderson, who did maritime scenes.  

I shall think about this some more.  

Stu

------------------

Theresa,
I did a little more searching.  European artists are beyond my purview, but I have come across someone who I feel sure is an even stronger candidate as the artist of your painting.  

Captain J. W. Anderson, British 1842 - 1900.

You might wish to send your photos off to Sothebys or Christies in either NYC or London.  They may be able to affirm that Captain JW Anderson is your artist.  I can tell you that the Smithsonian houses several marine portraits of Captain Anderson, and a few of his marine pictures have gone at auction at these large internationally known auction houses.  These are all beautiful paintings of ships at sea, presumably by someone who could appreciate the beauty of such!

I'm afraid I've gone as far with this as I can.  Don't be afraid to email your pictures off to the auction houses.  

Best of luck,
Stu  

Stuart Cartwright