Fine Art/Possible Fidelia Bridges Watercolor

Blue Birds on Cerry Blossums Watercolor on 1870 Whatman paper
Blue Birds on Cerry Bl  
I was helping clean up a 1854 Federal style House in Keokuk Ia. and while vacuming out large Pocket doors I noticed an old Bean sack hanging in the walls. It had this painting inside that was wraped up with more old cloth. I asked the owner what he wanted to do with it and he told me to throw it out with the rest. I ask permission to keep it and He said that would be fine. This is thee only of about 50 Paintings that were busted up and thrown in a dumpster that survived. You can read or make out Whatman 1870 as the water mark on the paper. I took it to a man in Pittsburgh Iowa that confirmed it Originality and dated it at 1900 give or take.He told me in his 45 plus years of appraising and repairing Fine art it is thee best quality watercolor he has ever seen from that period. Would anyone there without a signature have any idea who painted this Watercolor? Thank You Joseph

I agree that you may well have a Fidelia Bridges piece, especially given the watermark.  You have obviously done enough research and I won't bother sending along a bio on Fidelia Bridges.  

Instead, let me encourage you to correspond with Jennifer Krieger at Hawthorne Gallery in NYC.  Jennifer is one of the nation's leading art dealers and could help you identify this for certain.  If you are looking to sell it, Jennifer will help find top dollar for you.  Say "hi" to her from me.

Stu Cartwright  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration