Fine Art/Trying to get info on a painting I inherited

I received this painting from a relative in about 15 years ago, I do not believe that it is very "old".  I believe they purchased it maybe 20 years or so earlier than I received it, but I could be wrong we cannot read the signature.  It seems to be p. Geruia then it drifts into a line, so I believe there is more to the name, I cannot get a good pic of the signature.  I measured just the frame that the canvas is stapled to, not the frame of the entire painting.  It is 36" tall X 24" wide.  It has a number in marker on the back of the canvas 243690.  I would like to know who this artist may be, how old the painting is and if I need to be concerned about insurance.
Thank you

Thank you for the very nice feedback.  Send your photo to me at:

Certainly, I can't promise anything, but I'd like a look at your picture...I am always learning, too!  Let me know what part of the country you are from and I can perhaps suggest a nearby dealer or appraiser.  

Sounds like a big picture.  That is precisely what you should be measuring...just the canvas on the stretcher...not the frame.

You did not send a photo of anything, so I don't have a lot to go on.  I can tell you that there is no listed American artist whose name begins Geruia....

Feel free to send me the a photo of the whole painting, and perhaps a closeup of the signature if you can get it.  The number does not tell me much.  Don't worry if you can't figure out how to send an electronic picture.  Try taking your picture to a local art dealer.  They won't bite you!  

Enjoy your original art every day!  I do!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration