Fine Art/george symon

How do you tell if your painting is an original or a print?I received a painting,THE WANE OF WINTERS DAY by George Symons from my mother after she passed away.The paint is raised like paint strokes and it is signed.I just do'nt know if it is an original or not.Please help!

Please send me photographs of your picture.  I will try to answer your question.  

If you can:
(1) Entire painting
(2) Entire painting backside
(3) Close up of signature

How do you know the title?  

What size is it, just the picture, not the frame.

Any inscriptions in pencil, or labels on the backside?

Any idea how your mother came by the painting?

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration