Fine Art/Can you identify this artists signiture?

Landscape Painting
Landscape Painting  
I purchased this painting from a second hand store in Upstate NY. It is on canvas and is done in oil. It is 45 by 25 inches without the frame. The artist's initials are (I think) G.R. The only thing the back of this says is  "restreched July 28, 1969" on the wood. This is in great shape. It is not dated as to when it was painted. I have a close up picture of the signiture if you want it. I could not figure out how to download more than one pic. Thanks for you time.  Julie

Great picture.  Sure looks like a full signature, but this AllExperts service only provides me with a small image of the whole painting.  I see what looks like G. R______, with a fully underlined name?  If I could see a picture of the backside, that might help me, too.  Looks like a Swiss mountain scene, don't you think?  Maybe the Matterhorn?

Why don't you send me your shots at:

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration