Fine Art/oil painting

my husband grew up on long island, ny.  his dad was a doctor there.  a patient gave him an oil portrait, probably as payment, that we just found in the attic of his mother's home.  it is an oil portrait about 2 feet by 3 feet, it looks to be a very proper englishman, high lace collar, beard and mustache, holding his gloves and wearing a small gold ring. a coat of arms in the top left corner.  appears very old, no markings front or back, no signature  thank you for any help!

Pretty tough to answer your question, but I can and shall give you guidance.  You didn't send along a picture to me, but I'd advise you to take a snapshot of the full picture in the frame, the full rear side, and a closeup of any pertinent detail of the painting (flaking, tears, possible signature, anything scratched on the front.)  Although you say you cannot find anything, I would say the coat of arms might be of significant help.  Send this to one of the experts at internationally known Bonhams & Butterfields auction house.  These two gentlemen would likely be your best bet.  Try to be as descriptive as possible regarding the condition of the painting, front and back.    London  NYC

Bonhams, as do many auction houses, offers appraisal days and you can find a complete listing of these dates on their website.  

I'm not really an expert at "European School" paintings, but I hope I have been of some help.  Good luck.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration