Fine Art/painting

I would like to know if you can identify this picture. I live in Il, north of Chicago.
Thank you for your time,

I cannot identify the picture.  

Several suggestions:  
(1) carefully examine the entire frame and stretcher for any inscriptions or markings.  Sometimes an artist, or family member of the artist will leave information in pencil on the stretcher or backside of the frame.
(2) you may wish to remove the canvas from the frame to hunt for a signature that could lay beneath the frame.  
(3) As you are in Chicago, I'd steer you to either:

These are two reputable auction houses in Chicago.  You should not hesitate to contact them directly about your picture.  If you send them digital photos, send them the one you have here (full frame), a closeup of the canvas, a shot of the entire rear.  Let them know the dimensions of the picture alone, and any other pertinent information (where you found the picture, who owned it previously, any hunches you may have...)

A visit in person to each auction house should be preceded by a phone call to make sure you get a few minutes with the in-house expert.  Usually, they will be very gracious, even if your painting is worthless, so don't feel abashed in any way about going in.

Best of luck, I hope this helps.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration