Fine Art/Chagall Estate Lithograph

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Twyman,

I just bought what is supposed to be a Chagall Estate lithograph in an Art Liquidation Auction.
The title is “La Nuit Verte” (The Green Night), the original piece was produced in 1952, and I was told that my print is a limited edition. It shows a couple, the woman in a wedding dress, and a green goat on the sky.

This is the information that appears in the bottom margin:
In left inferior corner there is a number written in pencil:
__ /5K
I’m not sure if this is only 10 out of 50 or 5000? How should I interpret it?
It also has an embossed seal at the right of the number. It is really hard to read what the seal says, but it has 3 written lines in the middle of the circle and some other words on the top of it. It has 3 stars in the bottom of the seal.
Right in the center of the margin, there is embossed signature: “Marc Chagall.” Above the embossed signature it is written with pencil: Paris - 1952’
Finally, the name “La Nuit Verte” is written in pencil in the right corner.
The embossed seal has the “5K” again, written in pencil, what does this mean?

The print has the Chagall Signature and the year, 1952, on the bottom of the bride dress.
It also has, in very tiny letters, the following: “Copy Right March Chagall/ ADAGP Paris SACK Seoul 2000.”

I have found several Chagall Estate pieces on the internet, but I have not found this one and I want to know if is authentic and what is the appraisal cost. I should receive the COA in a couple of weeks but I wanted to do my own research.

Any comments will alleviate my curiosity and my concerns about my recent acquisition.

I appreciate your help,

ANSWER: I do not sell estate pieces because they are AFTERS. Also, did you mis-spell Marc Chagall, or is that the way it appears on the paper?

You wrote, March Chagall?

QUESTION: I mis-pelled, it is Marc Chagall. Thanks.

ANSWER: OK.  Also, if you think you have hand signed works, email me direct and I'll refer you to an art appraiser.

My direct email is:

QUESTION: I'll do.
Final question, do you know if the letter "K" is used in lithographs today in order to number thousands of prints?

That is not common.  I am used to seeing an edition number like this:
25/350  Or  Roman numerals in the same fashion.  K is not a letter I recall as an edition number.  K could equal 11 ?
If a print edition size is 3000 as an example, It is common to see a number like this: 100/3000
I guess publishers have the right to number their works any way they like and could have used K as the symbol for 1000.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.