Fine Art/Cherry Huldah Painting

I have a picture of a girl wearing a black dress holding a white shitzu dog w/pink bow on top of its head,and in the girls left arm she's holding a blue&white hat box.She also has on a little hat w/pink flowers and theres a horse&carriage in the background.I haven't been able to find it anywhere and was wondering if it's an original or print, and what it's worth? Can you help me please?

It sounds like you have a painting or print by Cherry Jeffe Huldah; an American artist who specialized in the theme of French (Parisian) women, Ballerinas and children. She did many paintings around New York and Central Park and her images around the Tavern on the Green are prominent in her work. Most of her original paintings are on canvas or board (Masonite). She did some watercolors on paper, but the majority of her work is oil on canvas.

During the middle of the 20th century, Huldah prints were very popular. The ones I have seen were done on heavy cardboard and brushed with varnish to give the appearance of an original painting. Probably the best way for you to determine if it is original is to view the image with a high magnification glass, such as a jeweler’s loupe. If you see a dot or line pattern it is a print. You should also be able to feel texture with your finger if it is original oil. If you are still unsure, take it to a local professional (antique or art dealer) who can help you identify it. The prints are not of much value at this time.

The market is very fickle with her original paintings. They have realized prices in the $1500 range, but recently (2006) one that was estimated in that range sold for only $150 at a Christies auction.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.