Fine Art/Elizabethan Style Painting

Reverse of Elizabethan Style Painting
Reverse of Elizabethan  
QUESTION: Hello Mr. Hynes,
I recently purchased a painting online which is being crated and shipped to me. I am fairly certain it is from the 1800's. My question is about the canvas that it is painted on which has a makers mark. Looking at the reverse of this painting can an age be estimated? Any input you have would be greatly appreciated. Regards, John

ANSWER: Dear John, Contact me again when you get the painting. Your canvas would be from mid-19th century to early 20th century.

QUESTION: Hi Mr. Hynes, The painting arrived yesterday and I have better pics for you to look at, if you would not mind. I cannot find a signature on the painting but on a strecher I found some writing that i can't decifer. So, I am looking for any opinion you may have to its age and its painter. I am just a little confused of the subject matter, why was this painted in the 1800's?. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I also have other pics if you would like to see them. Regards John

Dear John,
I will need a full set of images per my standard request as below.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed). If you have found my instructions somewhere on the internet, do not email me unless you go through

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.