Fine Art/F.M Drexel Oil Paintings, 1822

I have two original 25” x 30” paintings by F.M. Drexel dated 1822.  They have been in storage for a very long time.  One appears to be a self-portrait and one appears to be his wife.  Any thoughts on where I could go to positively identify these paintings?  Or who the expert would be on F.M. Drexel’s body of work?  Any help you can provide would be would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

John Papp

Dear John, Francis M. Drexel (1792-1863) was an excellent portrait painter, and later in life became an important banker. I do not know if there is a specific expert for Drexel, but you probably will get good information from the people at Schwarz Gallery, Philadelphia at
There did sell at auction a self-portrait of Drexel and also a portrait of he, his wife Catherine and daughter Mary.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.