Fine Art/L S Lowry print or lithograph

LS Lowry Family discussion
LS Lowry Family discus  
QUESTION: Hello from England Brent, I have a Lowry limited edition framed print bought 23 years ago called 'Family discussion'. I tried researching it on the internet as I have never seen it anywhere else and only found one entry for it - contacted them and was told they could obtain it for me for 990.
I have attached photos and details of both. My puzzle is why is this the reverse of mine, is it because it is a lithograph? Mine is not pencil signed but has 688/850 and an embossed HD Limited edition mark. Would mine be a lithograph or print and why so expensive for an unsigned lithograph? You can tell I know nothing about art! Many thanks in anticipation of your advice, Brenda

ANSWER: Hello Brenda,  I have researched Laurence Stephen Lowry's (British, 1887-1976) prints for clients in the past and there were two sources in your country that I found most helpful.  They are: Neptune Fine Art and The Lowry millennium project just outside of Manchester, the direct link to their research centre on Lowry is .  The print that you refer to as 'Family Discussion' I thought was titled 'The Family'.  The one I am thinking of is a coloured photolithograph, same size and edition number.  The image the people sent you may have simply been flipped...  Their asking price of 900 seems reasonable.  Cheers, Brent

QUESTION: Hello Brent, thank you for your kind response. I have tried the links you gave me but without success. The print you referred to - 'The Family' is not the same one, that is in colour and mine is black and white and a different group of people. If mine is a print (how do I tell?) would it be worth the same as a lithograph, bearing in mind that neither mine or the lithograph I was offered are pencil signed? Many thanks,it's good of you to take the time, Brenda

Brenda,  I am surprised the two links I provided were of no use, sorry for the faulty advice.  Your 'print' does not show up in any of the references I have about the artist, they have no images either, and since the expertise in this artist lies on you side of the Atlantic I suggest you contact Alexander Hayter, Modern and Contemporary Prints specialist at Bloomsbury Auctions in London.  You will find his contact information on their website.  Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.