Fine Art/Leo Politi 1942

Question
Hello, I would like to know the value of a painting by Leo Politi in 1942.  It is of two young girls playing with a jump rope and it is in excellent condition. The painting is approximately 34cm by 24cm.  Thank you for your help.

Answer
Dear Amy,

I hope you are doing well. I can’t give you an actual value on your painting without seeing it in person and doing more extensive research, but I can give you the most recent auction values for similar pieces of his work. Apparently his preferred medium is watercolor. I found the following most recent realized auction prices, (in USD):

1. Cockfight watercolor sold for $900 in 2007
2. Mother & Children watercolor sold for $200 in 2006
3. Mother breast feeding child watercolor sold for $400 in 2006
4. Women carrying water vessels watercolor sold for $800 in 2006
5. Church in Los Angeles with children playing gouache/watercolor sold for $3500 in 2006. This piece is about twice the size of your painting.

As you can see, estimating the value of art is not always “cut and dried” science.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley