Fine Art/Leo Politi 1942

Hello, I would like to know the value of a painting by Leo Politi in 1942.  It is of two young girls playing with a jump rope and it is in excellent condition. The painting is approximately 34cm by 24cm.  Thank you for your help.

Dear Amy,

I hope you are doing well. I can’t give you an actual value on your painting without seeing it in person and doing more extensive research, but I can give you the most recent auction values for similar pieces of his work. Apparently his preferred medium is watercolor. I found the following most recent realized auction prices, (in USD):

1. Cockfight watercolor sold for $900 in 2007
2. Mother & Children watercolor sold for $200 in 2006
3. Mother breast feeding child watercolor sold for $400 in 2006
4. Women carrying water vessels watercolor sold for $800 in 2006
5. Church in Los Angeles with children playing gouache/watercolor sold for $3500 in 2006. This piece is about twice the size of your painting.

As you can see, estimating the value of art is not always “cut and dried” science.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.