Fine Art/Marc Chagall Watercolor

Mermaid in the Sky
Mermaid in the Sky  
Dear Ms. Headley,
I recently purchased a pencil and watercolor on paper supposedly by Marc Chagall. The piece was purchased from a gentleman in the UK who said he found it in an old book store. No COA, titled "Mermaid in the Sky", or at least, that is what he called it. It looks like a Chagall, but it is signed simply "Chagall" in watercolor. I suspect it to be a forgery, can you help to confirm?
Thanks very much!

Dear Cynthia,

I hope this finds you well. There are more forgeries than original Chagall's out on the market today. It is highly unlikely that yours is an original. I love Chagall and have studied much of his work and I can tell you that my opinion is that it is not a Chagall. It looks very amateur. Take a look at an original Chagall mermaid.

I could of course be wrong, but I am very confident it is a fake. I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.