Fine Art/Marc Chagall Watercolor

Question
Mermaid in the Sky
Mermaid in the Sky  
Dear Ms. Headley,
I recently purchased a pencil and watercolor on paper supposedly by Marc Chagall. The piece was purchased from a gentleman in the UK who said he found it in an old book store. No COA, titled "Mermaid in the Sky", or at least, that is what he called it. It looks like a Chagall, but it is signed simply "Chagall" in watercolor. I suspect it to be a forgery, can you help to confirm?
Thanks very much!
Cynthia

Answer
Dear Cynthia,

I hope this finds you well. There are more forgeries than original Chagall's out on the market today. It is highly unlikely that yours is an original. I love Chagall and have studied much of his work and I can tell you that my opinion is that it is not a Chagall. It looks very amateur. Take a look at an original Chagall mermaid. http://www.thefineartcompany.co.uk/figurative/chagall-mermaid.jpg

I could of course be wrong, but I am very confident it is a fake. I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley