Fine Art/Paul Ashbrook pencil sketch

Question
Dear Mr. Hynes,

My name is Carolyn Hassan Richardson. In the late 1960's I worked with Paul Ashbrook's son while we were both employed by the IRS Service Center in Covington.  He was a wonderfully gentle and kind person.     

When my husband and I were married in 1969, he gave us a piece of his father's artwork for a wedding present.  It is a signed, 8x10 pencils sketch of an old, bearded man holding a large hat and partially standing behind a very ornate column.  Until that time I was unaware that his father was a prominent artist and I was not familiar with Paul Ashbrook's art.  But, even so, I was awed by his gift.

Over the years, I have wondered about his father and this particular piece of his art.  Are you familiar with it?  (Obviously, it would not have been in the house when you toured it in the 70's.)  Do you know the history of the piece or the story behind the subject matter. Also, could you give me a ball park idea of its value.  I do not have a picture to attach at this time, but could take one and send it if that would help.

I would appreciate any information you can give me or any references to information that I may study.  I did find a brief, very interesting biography posted on the AskART website.  That is were I found your name, on an entry you made in 2005 about Paul Ashbrook.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Carolyn Hassan Richardson  

Answer
Dear Carolyn, Sorry to say but Paul Ashbrook's artwork is not very sought after, and brings little money at auction. Drawings have much less value unless by a very important artist. And again, I hate to tell you, but portraits of old men are the least desirable of any subject matter. You could not buy lunch for the value of the drawing.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes