Fine Art/Picasso D'apres

Picasso D\'apres
Picasso D'apres  
I have recently found a Picasso D'apres at a garage sale for $5.  Thought I would inquire about it.  It is a print of a large voluptuous woman from the side/back.  Marked with Picasso, something I cannot read and 22.12.56 backwards on the right side.  Penciled in 119/500.  On the back of the framed artwork is a Certificate of Authenticity yellowed and dated Feb. 27, 1978 which states:
Collier Art Corporation of Los Angeles, California Certifies
Registry # 17154-70 then signed by someone who's signature I cannot read.
Is this real?  Is it worth anything?  What is your opinion of this?  Thank you for your time~Kelly

Plate signed implies that Picasso engraved his name in the printing plate.  I doubt that is the case, but maybe? hard to tell with afters.

An after is something created after the initial run that was pencil signed by an artist.

I suspect that is what you have, but would have to do research.

Here is a rather negative comment I found while looking into this for you:

The bottom line is the Collier Art Corp prints are probably worth about as much as someone is willing to pay. Depending upon the printing process used and the quality of the print in todayís market, you might expect a value of anywhere from $25 to $250, and Iím being generous here on the high figure. The fact that the print is framed is a plus. More often than not though, the frame is worth more than the print itself. Prints are a dime a dozen these days and Certificates of Authenticity are abused and faked and forged on a regular basis. So much so in fact that they are rarely given any weight whatsoever.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.