Fine Art/Question about Jose Puyet painting

I have a painting that my grandmother gave to me. It is called  "The Lady of the Castle" and Puyet underneath. Have you heard of this painting and if so how much should I insure it for? I have always loved the painting although it seems very dark and sad.

Dear Erin,

I hope you are doing well. During the mid 20th century, Jose Puyet,(1926-2004), paintings were highly popular in America. However, most people could not afford or find an original so his work was mass produced on heavy cardboard. They look very much like an original painting and you can even see "brushstrokes"; but they are built into the printing process.

There are many people who also have a "The Lady of the Castle" painting, (print), and they cannot all be originals. This does not mean you may actually have one of his original paintings of this subject, but you may want to take it to a local antique or art dealer for them to look at it for you.

Original Puyet's are currently selling for $1500-3000 at auction.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.