Fine Art/Tsugouharu Leonard Foujita

sketch by L. Foujita
sketch by L. Foujita  
Dear Mr. Twyman,

I have a either a pencil sketch or a lithograph signed by L. Foujita.  It could be a print, but I don't think it is.  The subject is 3 semi-nude and draped maidens standing side by side.(photo attached) I don't know the Title of the piece.

A couple of years ago a friend, who was moving back to NYC, asked me to sell several of his things at a garage sale.  This art piece was one of those things.  I had a feeling that this was not a garage sale item and held it back.  

I know very little about researching art and have not had much luck.  I did find a little history on the artist.  He was a contemporary and friend of Piccaso's and was a member of the School of Paris.  But I have not been able to find anything about this particular piece.  Today I just happen to come across the AllExperts website and saw that you specialize in Piccaso.  So I thought you might be able to give me some information on this piece.  Any information or leads that you could give would be greatly appreciated.  

I really don't know what to do with piece of art.  The owner doesn't like and doesn't want it.  He said that his mother gave it to him and that she got it on one of her cruses.  He said he doesn't think it is worth anything, but I am not so sure about that. I want to know more about it and find out where I should take it to sell if it does in fact have some value in the art world.  Right now it is sitting in my basement.  I think it should be somewhere where it will be seen and appreciated.  Please help!

Please let me know if the picture did not come through and I will try again.

Carolyn Hassan Richardson

First, my background selling Picasso works will not help with this artist, however, my extensive background in the art industry does help.  Throughout history, a favorite subject of many artists is,
"The Three Graces". You appear to have something that was influenced by that subject. You find limited info on the artist because the works are better known in Europe.

I would have to examine what you have to determine if it is a print or an original.

I have already sent a notice to a dealer that has sold the works in the past and will let you know what the reply is.

It is best to send the image and all other details to my personal email address so we can talk and work on this without having to log on here.

Email me at:

Please include a phone number in the email so we can talk.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.